First of all, the storyline and the plot. Castle and Beckett arrive at the scene of a murder to find a puddle of blood and no body. After tracking down a van that matches tire tracks etc. they trace it to a cryogenics company where they find the murder victim being frozen to preserve his body/brain for the future when the technology is available to bring him back to life or whatever. The victim is a scientist who's been doing reasearch on life preservation before death and then this is his way to preserve life after death, and the reason he and his wife have signed on to be cryogenically frozen is so that their love story can live on forever and never have to end, they're so in love that they never want to be separated. After tracing down a few different suspects with motives and all of that, they haven't found the killer, but they did find out some interesting twists to the case. Basically, this scientist had been diagnosed with a brain tumor that only gave him a few months to live. He convinced a friend and fellow scientist to perform these treatments on him that were supposed to implant new cells in your body and not let you grow old or something. The point of this was to reverse the growth of his brain tumor or whatever and help him not die. When he found out that the treatments weren't working, he wanted to spend the rest of his life dedicated to his research and he'd decided that he didn't want to be cryogenically frozen anymore, there was no point because after the tumor destroyed his brain, there would be no way to bring him back later on because a person's brain is what they really are trying to preserve. Ok, so back to the love story. He finally had to tell his wife what was going on and she's the one who ended up killing him before he could terminate his contract to be cyrogenically frozen and before the tumor could totally take over his brain and ruin his chances of being preserved and then brought back to life later on. She then takes a pill to end her life so that their love song will live on and blah blah blah, you get the idea.
Here's the kicker that I thought was ironic. In the recap from ABC's website it says, "Castle wonders if they’ll truly reunite in the future. Beckett believes it’s possible. She says, “That’s what the great love stories are about, right? Beating the odds.” Castle and Beckett both hope they’ll make it." How sad is it that these people worked so hard and put so much money into being preserved until science figured out a way to resurect them and keep them forever young so that they could spend their eternity living out their love story? I kind of had to chuckle at everything they risked and the crimes that they committed when all the really needed was to become a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, be sealed for eternity in the temple and live righteous lives. Their approach is more adventurous, but it's not really worth it, in my opinion.
This quirky little show made me ponder for a bit and made me really grateful that I don't have to wonder if my love story will live on into the eternities, and I'm so happy that I know that I will be with Joe forever! I am also glad that I don't have to go to extremes to make sure my body is preserved for me to be able to live in later down the road, and I don't have to rely on science to make that all possible. What would I do without my knowledge of the gospel? It's obvious what the lack of that knowledge drove these fictional characters to do.











No comments:
Post a Comment