Sunday, June 26, 2011

My Major

A year ago when I applied for college, I didn't thought I was crazy because I still didn't know what I was going to do or major in. My goal had always been to finish cosmetology school, work for a year, and then work my way through college in whatever I wanted to major in, so I put it off thinking that it was pointless to go back when I still hadn't figured that part out. I just decided to at least get my associates degree in general studies so that when I finally did know what I wanted to do, those classes would be out of the way.
A month or two ago, I got sick of trying to figure out which of my generals or electives I was interested in were offered online so I searched Weber State's webpage for something that would make the registration process less frustrating for me. Online classes are basically all I can do right now with full time and part time work. I also like them better because I can learn in my own way and do homework when I need to, I'm not expected to be in class at a certain time everyday. While I was going through the online course list and picking out classes that interested me, I noticed that most of them were in the CHF area. I didn't know what that was really, so I looked into it and after a little bit of research on careers and classes required, I decided that the Family Studies major in the Child and Family Studies area would be perfect for me! They have some great careers that you can do with a bachelor degree and they all involve people and planning and organizing and dealing with combinations of that type of thing. Also, if I go on and get my masters degree, Music Therapy is listed under Family Studies as one of those options.
On Friday, I met with the academic advisor for my area and we declared that major. My associates degree will still be for generals, but the rest won't. I'm excited that I don't have to take classes that sound interesting to me ish and find out a month in that I dread working on the homework for them everyday. I know that I'll enjoy all of the classes that I need for my major, and a lot of them are offered online up until the last little bit, so it works perfectly into my schedule for now.
I'm excited to take my first prerequisite class this upcoming semester and feel like my schooling has direction and purpose and isn't just a way to fill up my time. My first class that I have to take is Marriage as an Interpersonal Process, which I think is a very fitting class for me to be taking right now! :) This will be fun!!! Woo hoo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment