Friday, November 1, 2013

I'm Thankful for My Mom

In September, I decided I was going to be better about writing on my personal blog (this one) again, and I had a goal to write at least one post a week. Obviously I didn't stick to that goal at all because two months later, I haven't written a single post. My friend Kenzie at Chasing Happy announced The Thankful Project, 28 days of intentional gratitude, a couple weeks ago and I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to get back into the habit of writing down my own thoughts here.

November 1: A Person

My go to for this topic would be my husband, but there's a day dedicated to him later this month, so I decided I wanted to write about my mom instead.


There have been plenty of time when I didn't get a long with my mom. I'm really girly, she is not as much. She's really selfless, I am not. She's not very good at being lazy, I am really good at it. As a teenager, I was constantly fighting with her. After going away to school and moving back home, we get a long a lot better.

Mom mom is the most selfless person I know. She's the best example of service to others that I've ever seen. She takes her visiting teaching and church callings above and beyond the normal, required commitment. Any time someone needs even the slightest bit of help with something, she's the first one to offer her time. When Joe and I had our crazy move in August, she spent hours at our old apartment cleaning, probably better than we would have on our own, so that I could work and focus on other things that needed to be done. Joe was in awe of what she did and decided that we should hire her to clean our house every week. ;)

There is one moment when I was in college that I think really helped me realize how awesome my mom is and how much I took her for granted before. I got really sick in the middle of the night, all of my roommates were asleep, I felt like crap and was tired and for some reason didn't know what to do. I called my parent's house and woke my mom up at four or five in the morning, even though there was obviously nothing she could do for me living three hours away. She wasn't annoyed that I woke her up (or maybe she was and just didn't tell me), she talked to me for a few minutes, told me what I should take and then went back to sleep. If I'd been at home, I know she would have heard me get up and come to help me immediately so it was great to know she was still there even though she was miles away.

When I was away at school, my mom would mail me coupons for things she thought I might eat. Any time I came home, she let me go shopping in her storage room for things I wanted to take back. Now that I'm married, and living in a basement apartment (so we don't get the ads each week), she sets the coupons aside for me to go through when I come over each week. We have a standing invite to my parent's house for dinner every Sunday, and when her dinner plans sound better than mine during the week, she doesn't complain if I invite myself over. (I sound like such a mooch...)


By the time I moved back home from cosmetology school, she and I were good friends. I could (and still can) click on my phone log and she'd always be one of the top two people I'd called most recently. I had such a regular schedule for calling her back in college that if I was busy one day and didn't call at my normal time, she'd text me to make sure everything was ok.

My mom always has my best interests in mind and I am grateful for that!

Update: An hour or so after I wrote this post, my phone died for good. Being the hormonal wreck that I was, it was kind of a big deal at the time, and when I thought I'd lost all of my contacts (long story), it was even worse. My mom spent the better part of her night trying to help me get a new phone, she made sure I had something more than chocolate for dinner and she didn't laugh when I burst into tears over losing my phone contacts. I told you, she's great!

1 comment:

  1. Aww this is so great! Your mom sounds like a fantastic person. Not unlike my mom :) We are very blessed!

    ReplyDelete