Monday, January 7, 2013

When Your Best Friend Moves Far Away


I have this friend, and she is amazing! She is my scrubby buddy, LLL (Serendipity reference), Heidi Lynnie, and adventure buddy! We met in show choir our junior year of high school, became fast friends, and have remained so ever since!
Heidi is the kind of friend that you can be completely crazy with, laugh over memories with, watch movies and eat massive amounts of junk food with, have endless amounts of inside jokes with and still have serious and important conversations with! She is the best!

In high school, we were inseparable. We hung out every day at school, and we were together a significant amount outside of school as well. I'm pretty sure we did everything together! We made a lot of memories, gained some great friends, giggled a lot, and had some really good times!

I think one of my favorite high school memories would have to be our Honors English class the second semester of our junior year. Heidi and I had the greatest time together in that class! It was there that we  figured out that biting the heads off of gummy bears while pretending that the bear is someone you are frustrated with is great anger management. And we had the best conversations with our classmates, started a lot of arguments and discussions (mainly over the paper I wrote about the world without men).We also made a lot of our plans for the future during that class.

That's us in the back! I had one rollerblade on.
We became pals at this dance.
Target dollar section = fun prom accessory!
Our Sound Ideas craziness
Sound Ideas party
Last day of junior year
Bryan's farewell
I look like a drag queen, but I was a princess
Hanging out before the dance
Our last choir concert
Amberly in a bag!
Senior banquet
We did it!!!!
When Heidi was planning to move to Rexburg for college and I was going to go to Provo, we were really bummed, it was kind of traumatic for us to be honest, and then I found out that there was a Paul Mitchell school in Rexburg and everything was right in the world again. When we found out that we wouldn't be able to room together because I wasn't a BYU-I student and couldn't live in their housing, we were really bummed, but let's face it, I practically lived at her apartment anyway.

A library adventure
Many summer nights on the trampoline
I moved to school a week before Heidi and up until that point in our friendship, it was the longest time we'd gone without seeing each other (yes, we are that pathetic). Winter semester was our next test, since Heidi was in Bountiful and I was in Rexburg for over 3 months!!! She did come to visit me once or twice and we talked on the phone when we could, but I was so happy when she came back and we got to spend two semesters making memories!

A typical night at my apartment
Ward Halloween party
Pudding finger painting
Who says we have to grow up in college?
Rexburg gets boring....

Learning to waltz
Grocery shopping in style
When you're the best of friends!
Then I graduated and moved home, and Heidi moved home for her semester off track a month after that so we were still together A LOT. But then she got married, and moved back up to school and our lives have been in two separate spots ever since. Because they live only 3 hours away, I've been able to go up and visit or I see them when they're in Bountiful visiting Heidi's family at least once every 2 or 3 months (except when they spent two separate semesters doing internships in Virginia and Texas).

We spent an hour taking random pictures this girl's night

A group of crazy girls!
Chilling before the reception
Hanging out at Heidi and Micah's apartment 

We were captured and held hostage
Chocolate frosting, our favorite!!

My best friend, my "twin" and me!


Now Micah has a job in Texas and they just moved there to settle down and start their life. I'm having a lot of mixed emotions about the whole situation. I'm so excited for them because they're finally done with school, Micah has a real life career that he loves, and they're going to be living in an area that they really came to like this past semester. At the same time, I'm really sad because my friend is moving a long ways away, her visits won't be as frequent, and who knows when we'll get to live in the same neighborhood and raise our kids together, go on dates and hang out all the time like we've always dreamed about doing! But I know that there are many more memories to come, and until we're 90 and in nursing homes, we will be the same crazy pair!

Before they left for Texas, we were able to hang out a few more times, make some more memories, and dream more about things for our future!

We had a lunch date/craft day just the two of us and watched a chick flick together! It was a fun, relaxing afternoon. We just wish that it hadn't been snowing and the roads hadn't been so gross because we'd planned on reliving some of our adventures that afternoon. Oh well, maybe next time!

Craft day at my apartment!
We also planned a date night with our husbands, and it turned out to be a blast! A little dinner at Sette Bello followed by Play Nine and Martinelli's late into the night at our apartment!

Micah took a panoramic picture with his new iphone.




It was definitely a good, memory making night, I'll write more about it and post it over here on mine and Joe's blog tomorrow morning as well, if you want to read all about our fun.
When we were driving home at the end of the night, I felt really sad though. I know I'll see Heidi most likely twice before June, so it will be like normal, but it is still really sad when your best girlfriend keeps moving further and further away. We're still dreaming of the day when they'll live in Utah, close by, so that we can have girl time/children play dates and date nights on a regular basis!

I'll miss you while you're in Texas my scrubby buddy!!!!! But we will chat often, I'll come to visit, and I'm excited for your new, grown up adventures and success in life!!! I love you and I miss you so much already!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! You guys look like you have the best times! Friendships like these are the best, aren't they? :)

    ReplyDelete